Church of San Domenico (of the Rosary)

Accessibility

  • Family friendly
Immagine dell'attrazione Church of San Domenico (of the Rosary)

Informazioni attrazione

Price
Gratuito

Descrizione attrazione

San Domenico Church: where art and devotion intertwine for six centuries In the heart of the historic center of Catanzaro, overlooking the evocative square once called Largo Tribunali, the Church of San Domenico - or of the Most Holy Rosary - represents one of the most extraordinary examples of sacred architecture in the city.

This monumental complex, born from the generosity of Count Nicolò Ruffo in 1401, preserves six centuries of history, art, and devotion that make it an authentic treasure trove. The vision of an enlightened count The story begins with a gesture of great foresight: in 1401, Count Nicolò Ruffo not only founded the monastery of the Annunciation but also wanted to create something more ambitious. He encouraged the arrival of the Dominican Fathers and granted them an building that served as a hospital as a convent. Pope Boniface IX blessed the initiative with a bull in his twelfth year of pontificate, while Ruffo endowed the monastery with substantial income, including the proceeds from the fair on March 25. The project proved to be farsighted: Father Gregorio Areyzza, provincial of the Holy Land and general visitor, established the convent as a college for the interpretation of Sacred Scripture, making it a leading center of theological culture. Rebirths after every catastrophe Like many buildings in Catanzaro, the church has experienced a history of continuous rebirths. The earthquake of 1638 damaged the vaulted system and caused a column of the main altar pediment to collapse. The earthquake of 1783 caused further damage, but it was the earthquake of 1832 that caused the most serious destruction: the vaults of the chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary and the dome collapsed, forcing the closure of the building until 1891. The confraternity of the Most Holy Rosary - the oldest civic association in the city after that of the Immaculate Conception - decided on the reconstruction in 1843. The work, started in 1844, lasted until 1898 due to continuous interruptions due to internal restorations. It was a work of patience and determination that gave life to one of the most beautiful examples of neoclassical sacred architecture in Calabria. An enchanting facade The current facade, preceded by a majestic granite staircase built from 1897 to 1898 under the direction of engineer Michele Manfredi, is a true unique feature in the Catanzaro architectural landscape. The compositional scheme reveals extraordinary design maturity: fluted Corinthian pilasters of giant order, powerful entablature, portal surmounted by a large serliana (realized thanks to the contribution of fellow member Lorenzo Zinzi), triangular pediment with the coat of arms of the Rosary archconfraternity. The white surface appears geometrically controlled and rhythmically punctuated, a testimony to how Calabrian neoclassical architecture knew how to reinterpret Palladian and classical models with originality. An interior that amazes The interior in the shape of a Latin cross, c...

How to get there

Newsletter